Wednesday, September 19, 2012

STAGE TEN:Ventosa to Ciruena

Today was a really hot walk, I stayed in a pretty odd town and was just too tired to walk on. My camelback has been leaking every morning from the start of my trip, I'm pretty sure that REI sold me a returned damaged water reservoir. I wanted a two liter bag and they had none and then the lady surfaced with one from the back, since it leaked from day one I think she mistakingly found a damaged one. I removed all of my items again and this time started walking with my broken camelback until I realized my attempt not to leave anything on the side of the road might leave me walking with it for an hour or so. I passed a wine company and left it at their gate feeling alittle badly about that but also realizing someone might be able to patch the not so obvious hole it had near the device that closes it. Today had little to no shade...this town was clearly a ghost town and oddly has a golf course within the first feet of entering it. This is one of the oddest places if not the oddest place I have ever seen, I walked by the golf course hoping to check into a place and see the town and it was all shuttered up. I walked back to the golf course to get some much needed food and was glad I did, I had a wonderful bowl of gazpacho there. I really didn't know what to do upon leaving the restaurant at the golf course, the next town had a great atmosphere typically it would be a no brainier but I knew where I wanted to be tomorrow and it would only make sense to stay here. I approached the lone auberge, a heavy set man answered the door, no smile or any great welcome but he had a bed and I was thankful. I skipped dinner that he made but found on this quiet odd night to have lucked out with only five others at this auberge. I thought they were all wonderful and loved meeting E from England who was walking the Camino hoping she could allow a wonderful love back into her life after losing her wonderful hubby to cancer. I was fascinated by her energy and enjoyed her stories and company very much. In our room slept a young man who was feeling sick and had been out for hours. He is W from Canada and we wouldn't chat much tonight as he was feeling sick and wasn't really sure he was going to be able to walk the next day. I knew a gem of a spot was a short instance the next day and asked him if he would want to walk together I was happy in the morning when he thought he could.

No comments:

Post a Comment